Be A Tour Leader
The WVU Visitors Center is seeking applications for Tour Leaders. In an effort to be representative of the WVU student population, we seek students from all majors, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, and extracurricular experiences. Regardless of year in school, all interested undergraduates are encouraged to apply.
Tour Leaders are responsible for:
- Providing a warm and hospitable welcome to each WVU visitor.
- Aiding campus guests in accomplishing the purpose of their visit.
- Collecting and disseminating accurate information about the institution.
- Serving as an information resource to all University constituents.
Requirements to become a Tour Leader:
- Must have completed at least two semesters at West Virginia University.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Must possess the ability to represent West Virginia University effectively to members of varying constituencies (visitors, prospective students, VIPs, current students, faculty, staff, etc.).
- Must have the ability to work without direct supervision.
- Must have a positive, enthusiastic demeanor.
- Must be committed to the institution and the responsibilities of the position.
- Must agree to be available to work some weekends, holidays, and student recesses.
- For scheduling purposes, you must be able to work at least two 4-5 hours shifts a week. The Visitors Center is open Monday-Saturday from 8:00am-5:00pm. These shifts are typically 8:00am-1:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm. If hired, the expectation is that you schedule your courses to ensure you can work during the shift times.
- Serve as a resource for campus visitors, faculty, staff, and students on all aspects of the WVU community.
- Staff the Visitors Center, handling walk-in and telephone inquires as assigned.
- Lead year-round tours of campus.
- Maintain accurate statistics on users of the Center, information requested, and current issues of the day.
- Serve as a positive, enthusiastic, professional ambassador for WVU.
- Participate in an ongoing training program about the University.
- Learn how to connect with a wide variety of people.
- Network with WVU professional staff, alumni, and prospective students’ parents including those who have high level professional connections.
- Create relationships with your WVU peers.
- Develop strong public speaking skills.
- Share and grow your enthusiasm for being a Mountaineer.
- Learn how to be flexible and a problem-solver.
Develop time management and logistic skills.
Complete the Tour Leader Application to Apply!
We are currently hiring for start dates of Summer 2021 and Fall 2021. Our training for tour leaders is fairly extensive, so we are only considering Senior applicants that are graduating in December 2021 who have a relatively open summer and fall schedule. We will review applications on April 1st. You will receive notification of receipt of your application and will be contacted during the hiring period.